Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book Review: Basic Black

If you are a woman getting into the world of news, magazines and publishing, I hope you know who Cathie Black is and I hope you pick up her book.

Who wouldn't want to take advice from one of Fortune magazine's "50 Most Powerful Women in American Business"? (By the way, she made that list seven years in a row)

The book is full of personal stories about Black's journey in the publishing industry. You will read about some familiar characters such as Rupert Murdoch, Atoosa Rubenstein and Al Neuharth. She tells stories about success, failure, embarrassment and how to keep your head up no matter what.

Though the book is focused on the professional world, a subject that isn't considered a "fun" read, Black's down to earth voice comes alive to make the subject interesting and exciting. Above all this book is motivating. I have never been so ready to grab my diploma and head out into the world to find my first "real" job.

I want to say so much more about this book but really, you should just read it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment