Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Now What?


Generation Y
Millennial Generation
Generation Next
Echo Boomers
SAD (Self Absorbed Delusionals)
Digital natives
Screenagers
Generation Me
Generation Why
Wired Generation
MyPod Generation
Generation.com
SAA (Self-Absorbed Assholes)
IWWIW (I Want What I Want)
"I want to be different, just like my friends."



These are all ways to describe my generation but no matter what you want to call us, we are in trouble. We are graduating with degrees, debt and no where to go. About 14 percent of college graduates from the classes of 2006 through 2010 can’t find full-time work.


My management professor spent the first day of class telling 300 hopeful students how they will graduate without job offers. Great way to start your senior year right?

So what do you do when you can't find a job? Do you move back home? Do you head off to grad school to kill time? These are the questions that I am facing as I make my way through the year and step closer to the ominous month of May when these questions will have to be answered.

For journalism majors hoping to work for newspapers, the future is bleak.

I don't need to tell you that the industry is struggling, you can read plenty of articles about that. But when it comes to hiring, one newspaper editor said (in a report based on a ASNE survey), "The biggest obstacle we face as an industry is bringing youngsters into the business...We have a mature and experienced staff. I am lucky that way. But we are not bringing in new and less experienced people. I am concerned for all those college kids out there who cannot find jobs."

In this case, grad school seems like a good option.

Cecil Bentley, Director of Grady College External Relations and my newspaper management professor told me, "If I had the choice to hire someone with an extra degree or someone with experience, I'd hire the experienced person every time."

He recommends that students move home, take on an unpaid internship to build their resume if they find themselves without any opportunities.

Of course the better option is to find those internships early and build your resume before you grab that degree.

Noreen Malone wrote, "Being young is supposed to mean you have the luxury of time."

Unfortunately, time is no longer on our side. Time is money and for students, time is student loans and a pile of debt.

I guess all we can do is build our resume and hope that after graduation we stumble across a job. If you have any other advice, ideas or tips, I would love to know, and so would the thousands of journalism students graduating in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment